With two developmental meets down and the biggest meets of the season yet to come, it's time to take a stab at Montgomery County public school team rankings.
1. Gaithersburg - Gaithersburg has by far the most weapons in the county, and maybe in the state. While Antonio Palmer is carrying the team in the middle distance events, Sean Stanley, Owen Cain, Alimamy Kallay and others will be cleaning up in the hurdles and field events.
2. Whitman - Anthony Young-Wiseman, Jonathan Hale, and Jayson Carson team up with Andrew Palmer and Brandt Silver-Korn for the best combination of sprints, hurdles, field, and distance athletes in the county. Success at the county meet depends on Palmer's ability to run multiple events three days after a big race at the Virginia Tech Invite.
3. Quince Orchard - QO lost their dominance in the distance events, but Marcus Brown and Wayne Bartholomew are better than ever. Their new sprinter Pernell Brantley looks like he is going to have a major impact on the state level.
4. Clarksburg - Last year's outdoor county champs graduated several key seniors. Avery Graham, Rob Thompson and Mark Small are their only point scorers for now. Avery Graham may be the county MVP.
5. Northwest - Good Counsel transfer Hassan Dixon will give Chris Onuigbo, Chris Miller and the rest of Northwest a big boost in sprints and jumps.
6. Blair - Jonathan Haughton, Chris Grindley, and Keith Ayensu remain from last year's all-star Blair relays. Victor Wang is a surprise 50 foot thrower in December.
7. Churchill - Sprinter Darren Harris should carry Churchill a long way. Sean King, Will Draffin, and Matt Bernstein look good in distance events early on.
8. Damascus - Damascus has a lot of good, but not great athletes. Biggest points should come from relays and middle distance.
9. Magruder - Nicolas Escobar has the top 1600 time in December and Steven Ha leads all athletes in the long and triple jump so far.
10. Springbrook - Mitchell Pollard and Rodney Kizito are among the county's top sprinters. Springbrook has hurdlers too.
On the cusp: Paint Branch, Sherwood, Walter Johnson, Kennedy